Saturday, June 25, 2016

Getting the Camper Ready for Transport . . . Wow! The things I never considered!

Yup! I'm planning another trip! I am hitching up the camper and going on a long voyage to Virginia.. Hopefully, I'll be gone about a month, if all works out right. I plan to do some genealogy in Jamestown and visit my with oldest daughter in Fredericksburg.

Sometimes, you just don't know enough to know what you don't know. That's where experience comes in!

But, I swear, there are things about camping that I never got from watching all the YouTube channels and reading the forums, things that regular campers already know but don't know they need to share! From keeping things from flying around during transport to finding a good toast method, the learning curve can be extensive!


Just a few things I've learned so far:

1) The distance between restrooms don't always work for me!
Experience can be cruel. I've been stuck twice needing facilities and there was nothing nearby. Cars move faster than I do pulling my little camper. And seriously, when a woman needs to go, she needs to go now! It worked out because I had bottled water in the car so I could use my little traveling hotel room. I guess you could say I got lucky. Honestly? This chica does NOT use a tree!

2) Keeping a level head is vital.
Before you travel, put a bubble level inside the camper and get it perfectly level. Then, stick a level on the hitch tongue set to the same level. Believe me, you get really tired running back and forth to check the level inside the camper while raising or lowering the front tongue jack. Yes, I have witnessed folks watching me and giggling a little bit at this little bit of shenanigans. Trust me, when you are setting up for the evening, you want the process quick and easy! The levels really help. And it keeps you from getting giggles aimed at you.

3) Mildew happens. Ick.
When you turn off your fridge at the end of your travels, open the freezer compartment and stick a block in there to prop it open.

I was quite surprised at the amount of cleaning I had to do after one month while prepping for this little jaunt. I had done everything right: I cleaned out the fridge and dried it. I emptied the ice trays and dried them. Then, I blocked the fridge open in the "storage" position. But the freezer? It still had moisture inside it, so I had some mildew. Gross!

4) I used to laugh at my Dad's 5-gallon buckets. No more!
Sometimes, you need to tie down your awning so it doesn't tear off or try to flip your trailer. Those hooks that you screw into the ground? They don't work really well in sand. And some campgrounds have really hard ground! So, carry a 5 gallon bucket. You can fill it with sand or water and that puppy will hold anything in place! 

A bucket is also a great washtub, step-stool, or even a stand for a grill (if you add a piece of wood). These are amazing tools for just about every purpose. And during transport? Use them to hold things for transport!

Ok, that's all I've got for now. But, I have no doubt I will be adding a whole bunch before the end of this expedition.

Trip updates as they happen! 

No comments: