Sunday, May 8, 2016

Happy Mother's Day! But, what does it mean?

Mother's Day, just like Father's Day, is a day to celebrate Moms. We all know that and (hopefully) we all do that. And, I hope that we include the single fathers out there who take on the role of Mommy when the need arises.

Moms are those special people that help us grow up to be good human beings. They teach us the rules of society and life, just as they taught us to use a fork without stabbing ourselves.


In the clip, I give a little bit of the history of Mother's Day and how it came about. But now, let's talk truth.

Should we honor our mothers and fathers only on those days that are appointed? I hope not.

After her divorce and before her marriage, my Mom had it tough. She was raising a very active, sometimes difficult child (Me) while working full-time as a secretary and attempting to go to college. She taught me the value of trying hard, no matter what you are trying to do. She taught me the value of forgiveness, because I needed a lot of it. She taught me how to budget and how to achieve success.

Beating the odds, she was able to buy a car and then buy a house!

I never knew we were poor. I just knew that we ate a lot of mac and cheese.

Moms take the world on their shoulders for their children and shield them from the negative influences of society every day. Most of the time, the children never even knew something happened. Why? Because our moms protected us from the evils of the world.

To this day, I still apologize to my Mom for some of the horrible things I did as a child and as a teen. But, through it all, I know that I can always turn to my Mom for guidance.

So celebrate your mothers on Mother's Day. But, celebrate them the rest of the year, too. Mothers are the only people (other than fathers) who only want the best for you and are willing to drop everything to celebrate you.

I love you, Mom! I hope you have a wonderful day, week, month, and year. You deserve it!

No comments: