Saturday, May 21, 2016

Hey, Wanna go out?

Why do people (mostly men, but not all) automatically assume that my being "single" really means that I am "single but looking?" What is this mindset about? Personally, I think it's a reflection of their own wants and needs, rather than what they think is best for me. We, (society, that is) have this really weird habit of trying to fix others and trying to mash and mold them into the image we see as correct.

But really, who determines what is correct and what isn't? I think it's a personal choice that every human being has the right to determine on his/her own. My correct may not look like your correct. And, that's ok! But, that doesn't stop people from trying to mash you into their pre-determined image of correctness.



In the video, I talk about some of the hilarious one-liners I've heard through the years. But, it really gets a person thinking, right? I mean, where do these sayings come from? What prompts those beliefs? I found this graphic on my FB feed today:


Isn't this great? This really resonated with me because I realized that most of those crazy one-liners come from people who haven't learned to love their own existence and accept themselves. When they don't have a partner, they feel like they are missing out on something. Or, maybe they feel like failures in some way because they're not fitting in with some pre-conceived societal norm they think is correct.

But you know what? If you get into a relationship with someone who feels they need a partner in order to be happy rather than want a partner, you are setting yourself up for failure. You are a special person who deserves to feel wanted, not just needed. I mean, they need you in your job, but does your boss want you? Hopefully, yes! And, I say this because I know what happens when you become responsible for someone else's happiness. It sets the bar pretty high for your partner's expectations of you in the relationship. And, really, can anyone actually jump that high? Can anyone really live being that perfect person 100% of the time? Being needed is mighty burdensome, I must say!

And yes, relationships can be hard, but they can also be completely wonderful. Here's the clinker, don't go into one thinking that you need your partner. Go into it knowing that you absolutely want this person in your life. You'll be much more likely to collaborate and create a happy new existence with that person.

And, now that you know where I stand, the answer is still "no." I really don't want a date. Me, myself, and I are having way too much fun! But, I will take as many awesome friends as I can. This status quo may change one day, or not. But, it doesn't really matter either way in the great scheme of things because for now, I am very happy. :)


p.s. I would love to follow this up with another blog on the best and worst pick-up lines that people have either given or received. Please feel free to either message them to me using the form on the left or post in the comments. I'm sure it'll be hilarious reading through them!

No comments: