Sunday, May 1, 2016

How do you find your "happy"?



Everywhere you turn, you find miserable people. And, I'm not talking about the clinically depressed folks or people with real, definable conditions for which they are seeking help or actively working to make life better. I wish I could help every single person who can't find happiness.

But, I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about everyone else.

I'm talking about people who never seem happy because their lives are overwhelming or they're in jobs or relationships that make them unhappy. I'm talking about the people who race down the road because they're in a hurry and never bother to see the beautiful scenery around them.

I'm talking about the people spending so much time taking care of their property that they never have time to enjoy it.

I was on my way to class the other day. I always leave a few minutes early because I don't like to rush. While driving, I noticed a hawk. It was a such a beautiful bird!! And, to make it even more magical, the hawk seemed to be flying right above me! He took every turn I took. He stayed with me the whole way, as if he knew my destination. I slowed down so I could drive slowly and look up every now and then. I stopped for a minute to watch him. I must have driven with it for about five minutes. Gorgeous! It was such a beautiful bird that I even texted my youngest (once I got to my destination) about the experience. At that moment, that bird was my happy.

How do you find your happy?

How many people actually know how to live in that moment, that brief rare moment of beauty? Or, how to appreciate it?

We can't truly teach people to live in the moment. But we try to show them what really is important and worth appreciating.  Guess what? The grass is less important than the children playing on it. You know what else? The children won't remember the grass. The children won't remember the perfectly polished counter and table. You know what they will remember? Spending time with you while playing on that grass or eating at the table.

How can we improve our lives? Find our stressors. Find the things that make us miserable and develop a plan to improve it or delete it. We have the power if we think outside the misery-box. Sometimes, we just have to be creative. And, even if we can't change our existence in that moment, we can make plans to enjoy every moment leading up to that moment of change.

It can happen.

What's your happy?

No comments: