Saturday, July 2, 2016

I love you. I'll never leave you. You are all mine! With plenty of milk and sugar

My personal love affair with coffee began when I was very young. I used to watch my parents begin their days with multiple cups of this "coffee" substance. It always seem to make them happier and less tired. I wondered just what this magical elixir could possibly be! I remember thinking that I would do so much better in school if only I could start my day like theirs. If it worked for them, it would work for me, right?

My curiosity new no bounds or limitations. I tried getting Mom to provide this amazing cure for fatigue and instant energy in a cup, but she cruelly said "no." She also said that "coffee stunts your growth!" But, I loved to watch Mighty Mouse, so I knew that being small would not be a problem for me. I would have bet every penny in my pig that Mighty Mouse started his day with coffee. I had to get in on the fun! But my Mom kept denying me the opportunity. But, why?

I thought she just wanted to keep it all to herself. That had to be it! What a horrid person to hoard all of this magical substance known as coffee! She just wanted it all for herself! I just knew it.

So, I thought long and hard about my dilemma. Eventually, running on all of the little cylinders my under-aged body could muster, I developed a plan. This was a surefire gambit that I just KNEW would work!

Grandmas never say "no!"

Sure enough, the very next time I went to visit, I posed my question. And Grandma said "yes!"

I was over the moon with joy! I was finally going to experience this amazing drink for myself! I could barely contain my excitement.

Telling me that I must NEVER tell my mom, she fixed me my very first mug of magical elixir, sunshine in a cup . . . coffee. She used a LOT more milk in it than I remembered my Mom using. And she put more sugar in it, too! But, I didn't care. I had the magic juice.

And it was perfect. It was sweet and silky and oh! so yummy!

That began years of enjoying coffee with my Grandma, while thinking I could never tell my Mom. It was our secret, after all.

Many years later and a long time down the road, I still love my first cup of coffee made exactly the way my Grandma made it, with lots of milk and sugar. Though I appreciate other coffees and though I can drink it differently, I love the feel of that first cup made the way I remember from childhood.

I recently asked my friends on Facebook who likes coffee, how they like to drink it, and why. I got some truly amusing answers, from "Coffee is Love, Coffee is life" to "I love my coffee black and hot, like my soul!"

Very few of my friends state that coffee is not a part of their days. All I can conclude is that humanity's love affair with coffee is widespread and few people are immune.

Do they all drink it for the same reason? No. I heard a lot about energy and waking up, but I still think that the reason most people drink coffee is because of the connectedness is creates with the rest of humanity. We may not all have the same beliefs, social mores, or views, but almost everyone out there can appreciate the joy of a cup of coffee. It's the great social connector to each other and to the past.

And, it still helps us start our days a little happier and with a little more pep in our steps.

Well, what do you know? Maybe, it is magical.

So, tell me, how do you take your coffee?

No comments: