Monday, July 18, 2016

Traveling in My Little Gypsy Wagon

I'm on the road again. This time, I'm not traveling by car and staying in motels. This time? I'm hauling my little hotel behind me. My daughter calls my little camper a Gypsy Wagon. I rather appreciate the name. Names provide a form of self-identity. Calling my camper a Gypsy Wagon makes me think of adventures and escapades. It makes me imagine a merry wanderer exploring the world and experiencing new shenanigans. I like it! I have adopted it as an homage and I vow to live up to the high expectations.

This is my little wagon, all set up and ready for fun!

This is the map I use to keep track of my travels. The yellow route is the trip I took in Summer 2014. The blue shows the route I'm currently taking.

And this is why she calls it a Gypsy Wagon. I have a thing for zebra print. I enjoy the wild connotations of the print. It makes me feel untamed!

But, traveling by camper really changes the adventure. Before? If I saw a sign for something interesting, I could consult myself and decide whether or not to turn. I didn't have anything but myself and my little car to consider. But with a camper, those decisions take a lot more consideration and examination.

Now, I have to figure out whether my car and camper can take the detour. I have to think about the roads, the size of the roads and the layout, whether the roads have bridges under 11'7" (because my camper is 11'6" with the roof mounted A/C unit), and whether I have the opportunity to turn around. And, if I do, where? How? I can really turn around in small spaces, but not nearly as small as with a car alone.

I learned all of this the hard way.

The last time I took a detour, in Lousianna, I ended up almost getting creamed by a house! I'm not kidding!

As I was driving jauntily down I-10, I saw a sign. It read "Hold a baby gator!"

I didn't think. I didn't re-think. I just turned. I wanted to hold a baby gator!

Oops.

The baby gator place was closed with a gate across the driveway entrance. So, slightly disappointed but undetered, I kept going. And going. And going.

I saw side roads into homes and farms, but they were very narrow and I didn't know any of these people. I couldn't exactly just pull in, say "hello," and then turn around, right?

So, I kept going.

As I cautiously rounded a very narrow turn, noticing the complete lack of shoulder area and realizing that the road was narrow, a large semi came barreling around the curve hauling an oversized house!

Oh, my!!

I slowed as safely as possible in the few seconds I had left, tried to ease as far right as I possibly could, but this road had no shoulder! The truck driver looked shocked and tried to slow and correct to his right, but again, no shoulder!

As he passed with a look of horror on his face, I'm looking ahead and at my side mirror. I swear, the porch on that house came within mere centimeters of my precious Gypsy Wagon!

Imagining all of the horror at losing my precious camper and a possible survival while lacking a few limbs, I continued down the road breathing heavily and shaking quite a bit, I kept looking for a place to pull over. Berating myself for my overactive imagination, I took an additional five miles to find a gas station.

Needless to say, I gratefully pulled in and sat for quite a while drinking water and wishing I had re-thought my side trip.

I know that everything ended up just fine, but it really made me think about the necessity of considering all of my options before taking side jaunts and adventures.

My care-free Gypsy Wagon adventures may appear to be quite full of shenanigans and adventures, but I learned my lesson.

I consider all of my options now. I think of every problem in advance and I make sure to keep myself and my little wagon safe.

Now, I'm sitting in Fredericksburg, VA, safely parked at the KOA. I'm having a wonderful time and I've got many more adventures to go before I head back home.

But, those are adventures for another day. :)

No comments: