Monday, July 18, 2016

Meeting Mr. Sunshine

Sometimes, you meet a person that just completely changes your outlook on the day.

When you are traveling, meeting these people are the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. You know you will see more rainbows. And, you know that more pots of gold lay at the base of every one you will see. Part of the fun of traveling is hunting for that gold. But for the moment, you are still happy at this one, at this time. For now, this is the one you want to remember.

Today, I met Mr. Sunshine.

I don't really know his name and I don't really need to know. But, I know that he was today's pot of gold.

Let me back up just a bit. I spent the day in a fairly relaxing manner. I slept in, then spent some time doing small chores around the camper. Even a small setup like mine needs regular upkeep! Then, I ambled down to historic Fredericksburg and went to Roxbury Farm and Garden Center. I discovered during my short jaunt there on Saturday that they carry craft beer and wine supplies! So, I happily gathered up the materials I'll need to start my first batch of mead! Finally, I was able to meet up with my daughter. My poor baby wasn't feeling well today. My first instinct is to hover and take care of her, but she's the independent sort of young lady that doesn't want to be doted on. She likes to take care of herself. My poor little mothering heart couldn't take it, so I left her to drowse and headed back "home," with instructions that she should call me instantly if she had any need at all.

So, feeling a little down and at loose ends, I departed. And then, I met Mr. Sunshine.

I stopped in at Rite Aid to do some basic supply shopping and an older African-American fellow wearing a very dapper brown suit, forest green vest, tie, and pork pie hat stopped me to say "hello!"

I replied in kind and he went on. "I'm the Sunshine Spreader! I'm here to make the world a happier, healthier, and nicer place!"

His smile was addictive and his enthusiasm was infectious. He told me that he loves to meet people and that he's been to five states all around Virginia, spreading sunshine on people who need it! He shared stories and tales about the people he meets an the happiness he shares. He was a treasure!

So I said, "well, you can add Texas to that list!"

He actually started doing a little jig in the aisle right there at Rite Aid! He announced that he had to go "get his book" and he boogied his way out the door.

I smiled to myself, thinking that he was a sweet, odd little fellow, and I continued perusing the electronics section. But I didn't peruse for long.

Mr. Sunshine was back, proudly displaying a book in his hand. He turned pages for me, showing me signatures and short messages from all walks of people, all over the place. People left many messages telling him that they appreciated his happiness and thanking him for sharing his joy!

You could tell that this book meant the world to this happy, dancing man. Sure enough, he turned to the first page and showed me that this was book number 20! He pulled #19 out of his prodigious jacket pocket and showed me a special message he had marked from a lady who had just turned 100.

Mr. Sunshine had found his joy in life. He shared his happiness and he draws his own happiness from others. I very happily left my own message toward the back of book #20, adding that I'm from Victoria, Texas. :)

He shook my hand and gave me a very nice hug. I do regret that I didn't get a picture of this unique man.

I departed the store smiling and laughing. :)

I had met Mr. Sunshine.

No comments: