Thursday, July 28, 2016

Washington D.C. and City Segway Tours

I started my day by hitting the train station in Fredericksburg. First off, parking was a royal pain! I really suggest researching the parking anywhere before having to use it. I think I rounded the block twice before I just decided to use a parking garage two blocks away. And, lesson learned!

Then, I went over to the train station. Here, I realized that I had no idea which track to approach. Stairs to the left or stairs to the right. So I, being me, stopped a complete stranger to ask questions. She was so kind and helped me out, but she was carrying such heavy bags. I offered to help several times, but she declined every time. Finally, we ended up sitting together on the train to D.C. Dana was very kind and helpful, especially after I found I had purchased the wrong ticket. Or, more specifically, I did not purchase a part of the ticket that I needed. What the heck is a step-up ticket?? So, once again, always do plenty of research before buying tickets. I discovered that some of the trains are VRE (Virginia Rail) and some are Amtrak. So when you buy a VRE but plan to use Amtrak, you have to buy a step-up ticket in addition to the VRE ticket because you are "stepping up" to Amtrak, so to speak. So, because we both had horrible cell service, she and I were both fighting for an actual human person from Amtrak. Finally, she got an actual human first, so I was able to take care of the ticket issues. Dana is one of those rare souls that are willing to step in and help. She's a garrulous, kind-hearted, helpful soul that needs to be acknowledged for her caring! Thank you, Dana!

Finally, we got to DC and parted ways with a quick hug. I really hope to continue communication with her in the future. I felt the beginning tugs of friendship. But, she had to work and  I had a tour to catch. So we went our separate ways.

Now, I've taken many tours in my life: bus tours, trolley tours, walking tours, boat tours, etc. But the best by far is the City Segway Tour!

Segways are really a lot easier to manipulate than you really expect. I was a little tentative at first, but by the time we had been 30 minutes into the tour, I felt like a pro! I'd also like to mention that Spencer, our tour guide, was obviously very experienced and extremely knowledgable! The best part? We all had radios on our Segways so he could tell us humorous anecdotes while scooting along. So while walking tourists are getting all hot and sweaty, we were zooming along with a beautiful cool breeze! Plus, we saw more in 3 hours than most people ever could in that time frame. It was fun and it was informative. Spencer shared anecdotes and stories about the locations that you just never get while playing solo tourist. But on a Segway? Oh, my. I will never take a normal tour again!

We saw all of the normal DC sights, but Spencer's informative anecdotes really helped us to understand some of what we were seeing and added humorous flavor to the history we've all learned. I had no idea Hoover hated the FBI Building and never wanted his name on it. Nixon, for spite, named the building the minute Hoover was no longer in office! We also learned that Andrew Jackson was a huge partier. He would through huge gatherings, serving whiskey and punch. The government finally stepped in and told him not to have those parties in the White House! Which was where we started our tour, then we moved up Pennsylvania Ave to the Capitol. We then we scooted all the way up the mall, stopping at various sights of interest, and ended at the Lincoln Memorial. I've been to D.C. several times, but I never managed to get there before. Unless you have been, you just can't comprehend the majesty and beauty of the scene. Nor can you comprehend the immensity of Lincoln sitting on his chair. According to our tour guide, the seated Lincoln is 19 feet tall. If he had been depicted standing, he would have been 28 feet tall! And, he is forever gazing at the Washington Monument, beautifully rising to the clouds.


With that final image, our tour ended and we had to return our wonderful Segways. I've already started making plans to find another!

Then, I got to fight the trains! I had to take the Metro back to Union Station. At rush hour. During one stretch, I was the salami in a human sandwich. It was funnier than it was uncomfortable, but it was tight in there!

Finally, yes, I ended up doing the whole 'sprint to get on the train" thing. That was also a memorable first. I really felt that I acquired a quintessential train memory during that sprint. But I did it. And, I made it.

I had a wonderful time in Washington. I suggest that anyone who only has a short time to spend and wants to fit as much as possible in their trip should call City Segway Tours. It's fun and it's memorable! It helps you fly comfortably through the sights. I loved it!! And I will definitely do it again!

No comments: